I installed the new starter after exchanging the first one for a much better choice than the ALL Chrome starter that I ordered by mistake. It saved me over $75 and nobody was going to see it anyway!

I tested both the new starter and the repaired one to make sure they worked in a real world installation, and they did.

I also checked the tooth clearance (.030″ or a small paper clip slipped between the top of the engaged tooth of the starter gear and the fly-wheel tooth) and the engagement depth on the flexplate (60-70%). And finally the clearance from the starter gear to the flexplate (.062″ min.), with the starter at rest, in three locations around the flex-plate, with both starters.

I did not require any shims, but the starter comes with several shims for the block, but they don’t include the shim that would be needed to adjust the engagement depth, if needed.

This attention to detail is why I normally don’t have any wear on my flexplate when I change them due to SFI sticker expiration.

Now I have a fresh starter in place and a repaired, and tested one one, ready for emergency service.