I made a spread sheet with all my bearing measurements and the required clearances. Since I have not received the rod and main bearings yet, all I can do is measure the crank journals. The crank is still standard. I have the old bearings and they are still in spec so I know the new bearings will fit just fine. They should arrive today(Friday) and I will be able to assemble the corner pistons in the block and measure the deck clearance. That will allow me to determine the thickness of the new head gasket.
Every time I lay off using my measuring instrument, I have to re-train myself on how to read the micrometers. I did purchase a new digital caliper and a new digital, 4″ – 5″ micrometer. All you have to do with these is just read the number in the window. Somehow, I just don’t trust them like I do the old (analog) instruments. I know that digital is the future (and right now). If I like the new 4-5″ digital, which so far I do, I will purchase a 2″-3″ Digital Micrometer. One thing I don’t like about digital instruments is, replacing the batteries.
The new Wiseco Pistons are a different story. Since I do not have the hone plate that was used to arrive at the final measurement of the cylinder bores, all I can do is take the word of the machine shop. I know the block was not bored and honed until the pistons were available in the shop.
A few years ago, I was at the same spot in my engine rebuild (383 SBC) and when I took the cylinder bore readings, I panicked and went back out to Remi and was very upset because I was out of spec on my piston to cylinder wall clearance. Remi put the hone plate back on and we measured. Everything was just fine. This time, I am just going to trust that we have adequate clearance. I did take two readings and they were both tight, but almost at the lower limit of the spec. I will take the other 6 just to have a record.
I went to the fastener company and purchased three, Grade-8 studs to mount my water pump and alternator. I have broken two bolts in the lower water pump, driver side, hole. One was a standard bolt, the other was a Grade-5 bolt. Now I have all Grade-8 hardware holding the water pump and alternator. They always seem to fail when I am in eliminations and just won a round!
I worked on getting the new intake manifold ready for installation. The pipe plugs (2) were installed and the fitting for the temperature sensor. I also put in four long studs for the carburetor and 1″ spacer. Air Flow Research (AFR) does not care for the 4 hole spacer. They recommend an open 1″ spacer with their heads. That would be something that would be good to test on a dyno. I do not plan to dyno this new 565 CID engine. I have so much data on the old 555 CID engine, all I need is a few time slips (on Saturday) to see the difference.
Stef’s is shipping my oil pan back, with the repairs completed, on Monday. The repairs were free, after 12-13 years!
Fed-Ex just left my main and rod bearings at the front door! It’s 11am on Friday. Back to work!